Who am I ?

My photo
Los Angeles
I am the director of the only Award winning documentary about YouTube, called Butterflies and feature film about Route 66 called Autumn of Route 66. See my work here: http://tinyurl.com/EsterReel

Apr 16, 2015

Does Apple discriminate against moms?

On Saturday morning I came to the Apple store in Sherman Oaks with cracked iPhone 6 display. My 2 year old dropped the phone on the ground like many times before, but no other phone company offers display repair, so I was happy that Apple does and my iPhone could be in a working condition shortly.
There was nothing wrong with the phone otherwise, the display still worked, everything functioned well but it was hard to see over the broken glass.
I was a mess I admit. Tired toddler over my shoulder, no make up, work out clothes...you get the picture... your typical mom... only I am a FT working professional as well. I didn't look like one, that is probably why the 20 something year old boys working there looked at me with a little smirk.

I was told by the store associate that they can fix it but I have to wait 50 minutes for a technician. I did and when my turn finally came (it was more than 50 mins btw) I was told to reset my passwords and back up the last photos so they can check it in for repair which should take 90 minutes. Meanwhile, the technician put all the phone data in. He told me there are 2 options. Either the phone comes back with fixed screen and all is good or the phone comes back all wiped. I said I understand.
I was in rush as I had to leave in 2 hours for NAB conference in Vegas and my 2 year old was at this point very cranky and hungry hanging out in the Apple store for close to 2 hours.
As I am ready to leave, the technician tells me he also wants to inform me about the 3rd option, which is if the phone doesn't work after they fix it, I need to sign this document quoting me $408 to get working phone back. Why was this not mentioned before?
I said I am not interested in that. If fixing the screen doesn't work I will just go back to my old phone. He said that is not an option and if I don't sign this release for $408 they will not attempt the fix anything.
My daughter was crying now and I wasted way too much time and had to leave soon so I signed the document because I desperately needed to phone for my business trip that day. I wish I went to another repair shop and didn't waste all this time in a place where I was so obviously not welcome because I didn't look cool enough.

I attempted to complain to the manager of the store regarding the very late high quote which I wish I was told about right from the start. He claimed that the technician must have informed me at timely matter. No he didn't. He was looking at me with a contemptuous smile like I was lying, like I didn't matter, like he wished I wasn't bothering him with my complain which so obviously wasn't valid. The child on my shoulder guaranteed I can't be a serious customer needing real help with my device.
I left super angry because of the terrible customer service, the way they looked at me and treated me and of course because of the ridiculously high quote that I agreed to.
But, at least I knew I would have a working phone for my trip...

Two hours later I was already way too late to depart for my trip but had to return to the Apple store to pick up my fixed phone. I sent my husband in because I was still super angry to go back. So, as if all of this wasn't enough, he returned back with my phone exactly the way it was when I dropped it off for repair - and after I signed the work authorization (which I will include bellow this post).

The store clerk now claimed because I was visibly unhappy when I signed the order form,  
he decided not to complete the service. Apparently, at Apple you have to be smiling when you are giving away $400 for nothing otherwise you are out of luck. Unless of course you are young, hip, beautiful and with no children hanging around you. I know this for a fact, because I have been an Apple customer for over 10 years. I was always treated very well...that is before I became boring and unattractive mom.

Yes, I am typing this blog on my MacBook Pro which I have been updating every few years for the latest model, just because I loved Apple. Not anymore. They don't cater to people like me.

Any suggestion on what computer and phone I should get next?



No comments:

Post a Comment