Who am I ?

My photo
Los Angeles
I am the director of the only Award winning documentary about YouTube, called Butterflies and feature film about Route 66 called Autumn of Route 66. See my work here: http://tinyurl.com/EsterReel

Dec 12, 2010

Is your film's fate predetermined ?

This is something I wanted to engage you in....at least by giving it a thought...
I am sure most of you film people out there are aware that Sundance Film Festival released their selections, which caused lots of pain to little hopefuls who did everything possible to finish their little movies by the festival submission deadline.

Yes, yes, you might hear it million times: it is impossible to get into Sundance, don't even bother, indie films have no chance etc etc. But, despite all this we all always decide to take the little chance, write our checks to the beast and keep the little tiny hope hidden very deep inside. Maybe...just maybe, if they see this work of art I created, maybe it is not all predetermined...
So, if you are going to argue, that one can indeed get into Sundance, without have any special connections, can you please explain this to me?
Back in the summer Ridley Scott announced a movie he was producing called Life in A Day. He invited anyone and everyone in the world to shoot whatever they like on July 24th, 2010 and upload it to YouTube for their consideration to include your footage in the movie.
And, get this - since the movie was to premiere in January at the 2011 Sundance, if your footage was selected, you get invited to the festival. Now, my question is this, how did a movie, that wasn't even shot yet, that no one had any idea of what kind of footage it is going to have, or what the storyline will be, how did this movie got selected for Sundance? Really, Sundance wasn't even open for submissions back then.

So, I am only writing this to remind everyone who didn't get into the festival, and whose movie was amazing and possible the only one that could be the exception, to be chosen for Sundance. If it was so well done, even if you don't have any major stars, even if you don't have any secret connections, even if you don't have a name, you still could not possibly take that one available spot, that was already taken by a movie that nobody could possibly know if it was going to be better than your little film.
Take this as you will. 

And, on the side note - how do I plan to get into the festival? I went out on July 24th and shot some footage. I submitted my footage along with 80,000 other hopefuls from 197 different countries and waited if I am one of the 100 they select.
I was! Now I just have to wait to see if the 94 min movie includes any of my footage for real. Is this my ticket to Sundance? Maybe, unless it was all already predetermined a year ago.......
And here is the few links you might be interested in:
All footage that got selected for the film can be watched here
My footage for Life in a Day:
Oh, and did you want to make sure that Life in a Day indeed got "selected" ?

1 comment:

  1. Hey, it wasn't 100 people they pre-selected but 100 hours. So am I guessing with the average length of a clip being 5 minutes that makes it about 1200 people who got pre-selected. Out of those 1200 people, I am estimating about 40 to 50 will have their footage included in the movie. And that's a generous estimation. But for some people it might be 5 minutes of their clip, for others 5 seconds.

    Both of the videos I submitted were pre-selected, but don't worry, even if they are included in the movie and I get a ticket to Sundance, I'm not interested in going anyway. So, they will have to give my "prize" to someone else instead. :-)

    But then again, I am not holding my breath, I am 100% certain none of my footage will be used in the final edit of the movie.

    Still, any idea when they are going to announce the "winners"? LOL!

    Good luck to you! I hope you'll make it! :-)
    cheers!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete